Pages

Friday, July 18, 2014

Friendship

While watching the SAMA’s (South African Music Awards), my friend says that she got so excited when LadySmith Black Mambazo sang “hello my babe” and remembered me. She said that she wanted to call but had no airtime (different networks eish) and that all she could think of was me and my boys. My boys.
You see my boys are very close to my heart. My mom says that I never take anything seriously, my other friends says that I am not emotional and somewhat hard, some have even said that they look forward to the day I cry- because I never cry. But the people that make all these statements untrue are my boys. You see my boys are the many lost boys who are on the streets and have run away from home or quit school and are addicted to drugs. My heart rips at their sight and getting a glimpse into their worlds through a five minute conversation makes me feel like I’ve achieved the greatest thing in life. They make me cry. Most of my friends know this and fortunately for me I never had these emotional moments when I am with them, except with one friend- Gundo.
Our random late night walks to pick n’ pay are what we both miss the most and one day last year we went out on these random walks and when we came out of the complex we saw four boys singing the song “hello my babe” by Ladysmith Black Mambazo. I was really touched and Gundo could see it and she knew about my secret blog so I asked her if she could take pictures for me, she went the extra mile and took a video. She knew how much this meant to me and for the whole time she stood with me in the cold while we listened to them so when she told me that she remembered that night as Ladysmith Black Mambazo sang at the SAMA’s, I got really touched.
I was touched because I have a friend who understands the depth of my passion. I have a friend who gets as excited with me when one of them returns to school and as sad when one of them goes back to the streets. As we grow up, we learn a lot about friendship and what we want from it. We learn about betrayal and about loyalty; we learn how to live with people. You learn to appreciate genuine friendships as you grow up because you soon realise that not all of your friends have the same idea of what friendship is and not everyone you call friend will be there when times are tough.
Friendship to me means doing life together. It means that as a friend you know the stuff that other people don’t know, and I don’t mean the surface type of stuff. I mean, you know the drama that’s happening in my family, you know my insecurities, you know my fears and failures, and you know my crushes (hehehe). But seriously, friends are people who are with you in the dark places, places you don’t want anybody else knowing that they exist. True friendships are a gift from the LORD and I am so blessed, so blessed to have GOD fearing women around me who inspire and grow in so many different ways and most importantly they are my friends. What a blessing. It is a blessing to have the kind of friendship where each is willing to lay themselves down for another and realise that the greatest call is that of serving one another.  
If you have such friendships as well, THANK GOD. If you don’t, pray to GOD that He sends someone your way that you will share this kind of friendship with. The world can be a lonely place without a true friend. Above all let’s all remember that we all have a friend that sticks closer than a brother and His friend is JESUS!! He will always be there even when no-one else is around.

To all my friends- thank you <3 <3 <3. You are GOD’s gift to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment